Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Hebrews 3:4

A few months ago, I wrote Hebrews 3:4 on a very plain white piece of paper and propped it up at eye-level, so I'll see it every time I get on the computer in the home office.

It says, "For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything."

That's one of those verses that has the tendency to make me think, "Yeah, that is a great verse," and then whizz right on by with my all-important daily planner and not give it another bit of contemplation. So to trick myself into pondering it, I put it in a spot where I'll be forced to see if over and over until it really sinks in. I think it's beginning to.

It applies to us as individuals as much as it applies to our families, careers, and even our hobbies. We can work on building our lives personally and professionally, but ultimately, God is still the builder. Now you're thinking, "Yeah, yeah, that's a great verse." And you're about to whizz on by with your daily planner. I dare you to meditate.

When I look back over my life in the past year, the fact that God is the builder is OH so evident! Even during those times when I have been building, God is still the builder. I've worked hard to make the most of my opportunities at work, for example, and now it seems as if God is beginning to open more of the doors that I've been knocking on. AND I'm able to see how many events had to happen first, and how many other things had to line up perfectly in order for the doors to even crack. It's amazing. God is amazing.

The builder always knows what the finished product will look like, while the person putting in the most sweat-equity, rarely does! I think God keeps us in the dark so we won't give up. If we're constantly aware of the hudreds of things that have to happen in order for us to get our blessing, we might feel inclined to throw up our hands in disbelief and forget the entire thing. It seems impossible! But God gave us blinders so we'll keep moving. And to spare us some stress.

Angela and I are working on having children, and even though we're the ones physically going through the steps, we know that God is the one who is building our family. I believe God has already conceived our children, and we will simply give them a place to exist. As the builder, God has a vision, and we are the willing participants who will do anything we have to do to carry out the plan.

Hebrews 3:4 has been instrumental in helping me own this truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home